The Utah Valley Drug Prevention Coalition was founded in 2007. Our mission is to prevent and reduce alcohol, marijuana and prescription drug misuse/abuse among youth living in Utah County. We love to have new members, so if you want to learn more about joining our coalition, contact us!
Strategic Prevention Framework.
The SPF process:
- Promotes youth development
- Reduces risk-taking behaviors
- Builds assets and resilience
- Prevents problem behaviors across the life span of the programs
The idea behind the SPF is to use findings from public health research along with evidence-based prevention programs to build capacity and sustainable prevention. This, in turn, promotes resilience and decreases risk factors in individuals, families, and communities.
SPF steps require states, territories, federally recognized tribes and tribal organizations, and communities to systematically:
- Assess their prevention needs based on epidemiological data
- Build their prevention capacity
- Develop a strategic plan
- Implement effective community prevention programs, policies, and practices
- Evaluate their efforts for outcomes
The SPF is built on a community-based risk and protective factors approach to prevention. Also, there is a series of guiding principles that can be utilized at the federal, state or tribal, and community levels.
DCP uses 7 Strategies for Community Change: